Amravati (also known as Amrawati or Amraoti), situated in the Deccan plateau, is a small town which is believed to be the city belongs to King of all God, Indra. The town is located near the passes through the hills that separate the cotton-growing regions of the Purna basin to the West and the Wardha basin to the East.
Amravati District with the rest of the Berar was assigned to the East India Company by the Nizam following the treaty of 1853. After this province was assigned to the Company, it was divided into two districts, South Berar with its headquarters at Hingoli with neighbouring region restored to the Nizam and North Berar was reconstituted into East Berar with headquarters at Akola.
In 1864,the district of Yeotmal was separated from Amravati. In 1903, the Treaties of Assignment were superseded by an agreement under which the Nizam leased Berar to the Government of India in perpetuity. Berar was joined to the central provinces in 1903 to form the enlarged province of central provinces and Berar.
With the recognition of States in1956,Amravati district ,along with other districts of Vidarbha region was included in the then Bilingual Bombay State. Since the bifurcation of Bombay state into Maharashtra and Gujrat in 1960, Amravati,along with other districts of Vidharbha formed one of the districts of Maharashtra.
By Air: Amravati has an aerodrome which is about 15 km off NH-6 towards Akola.
By Rail: Amravati is situated on the branch line from Badnera on Bhusawal - Nagpur section of Mumbai (CSTM) - Howrah main railway line of Central Railways.
By Road: The NH6, is a National Highway which runs from Hazira (Surat) to Kolkata. Maharashtra state transport buses are most commonly used by people to travel to rural parts of the region.
Amravati is well equipped with some of the best accommodation facilities, varying from posh and classy hotels to reasonable budget hotels.