Barasat is an urban setup in the vicinity of the Kolkata, the town is within the area of Greater Calcutta. It is known for an eco friendly holiday destination with unexplored forest tracks and wildlife.
In the early nineteenth century, there was a college in Barasat for the cadets who arrived from Europe for the first time to India. From 1834 to 1861, Barasat was the seat of a joint-magistrate, known as "Barasat District". In 1861, the joint magistracy was abolished, and the Barasat District became a sub-division of the Twenty-four Parganas district.
The town has important historical contributions, including historical landmarks such as the first Nilkuthi (establishments of the initial English settlers who started the cultivation of indigo dye), the Bungalow of Lord Hastings, the Bungalows of Magistrates of 24 Parganas and the site of hanging of Maharaja Nandkumar. In 1831 under the leadership of Syed Ahmed and his disciples, Mir Niser Ali or Titumir, Barasat witnessed movements like the Ferazee disturbances against the British dominion in India before the Sepoy Mutiny of 1857.
By Air: Nearest airport is Dumdum Airport ( Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport), 8 km from Barasat.
By Rail: Barasat is 22 km from Sealdah Station on the Sealdah–Bangaon branch line. It is at one end of the Barasat-Basirhat-Hasnabad branch line of Eastern Railway.
By Road: Barasat is a major roadway junction. The NH 34 (initially under the name Krishnanagar Road) goes towards north ultimately to the North Bengal and is the major link between Calcutta and the North-East India.