Canacona, located at the southernmost tip of Goa, is bounded by the Sahaydri hills of the Western Ghats on one side and by the Arabian Sea on the other and has many white coves and some fresh water springs. It is a quiet village with few tourists and beautiful beaches that are generally deserted. It is one part of Goa where the hillocks look out directly into the sea, giving it an interesting geological identity. The name Canacona is a distorted version of Konkan which itself derives from Sanskrit word Konvapuram.
Ceded to the Portuguese by the Raja of Sund in the treaty of 1791, Goa's far south - Canacona district - was among the last parts of the territory to be absorbed into the Novas Conquistas, and has retained a distinctly Hindu feel.
The history of Canacona states that it was a part of Kingdom of Sonda, a fragment of the mighty Vijayanagar Empire. But the Raja of Sonda got into trouble in 1764, when Hyder Ali of Mysore attacked him. The King asked the Portuguese for asylum and handed Canacona over to them, later it was merged into the state of Goa in 1794. Canacona came under Portuguese influence and went through many conversions in the 18th century. Like most of Goa, you will find little European impact in this pastoral part of Goa.
By Air: The Dabolim Airport is 62 km away from Canacona. You can take pre-paid taxis at the airport to reach Canacona.
By Rail: The Canacona railway station falls on the Konkan Railways network and is located at the center of the district, close to the tourist attractions of the coast. The railway junction of Margao (37 km) to the north is the closest major rail station.
By Road: National Highway 17 connects the town of Chaudi, headquarters of Canacona, to Margao and Panaji.
Accommodation is available in hotels, rest houses and guest houses. Intercontinental the Grand Resort Goa is the only five star hotel at Canacona. Other popular hotels are the Sun Village (4 Star) and Shangrila Beach Hotel (3 Star).